Ten ways to spot a geek
February 15, 2010
Here’s my list of the Top 10 ways of geek-spotting. Let me know if you have any others:
0. They always start lists with “0” rather than “1”
1. They never use “data” in the singular – it’s always “the data are … “, never “the data is …”
2. The most thumbed title on their bookshelf is Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel
3. They can speak fluent Klingon/Elvish/Na’vi
4. When listing the actors who’ve played Doctor Who, they never forget about Paul McGann
5. They often switch their keyboard layout to Dvorak – just for the fun of it!
6. They freezeframe the opening titles to The IT Crowd so they can read the screendump of the error message
7. They’re constantly browing Slashdot – usually with a homebrew version of Firefox
8. They sign birthday cards in binary (come on, we’ve all done this … haven’t we? or is it just me?)
9. They draw up pointless lists when they should be writing an article on journalism education.